October 06, 2011

Butternut Squash

Okay, first off all let me say that I'm glad I started with squash. Everything has to seem easier after that, right? The fact that I managed to keep all my fingers after trying to cut through that sucker is a success in and of itself! Peeling the skin off of it wasn't exactly a walk in the park either. Needless to say, I did it and I survived and it really wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be.

I guess I should say at this point that I'm a direction follower and not really the "winging it" type, so I've enlisted "So Easy Baby Food" by Joan Ahlers and Cheryl Tallman as my baby food bible. I'm not going to blog about it a la Julie and Julia, but it does seem to be a pretty good reference. It suggests what foods to introduce when and gives suggestions regarding flavour variations to add and foods to combine with each other. In the book, all of the foods are prepared in the microwave, so the recipes are super fast and easy. I'll admit, at first I was turned off by the idea of preparing my baby's food in the microwave, radiation poisoning and such, but as it turns out, the food actually retains more nutrients that way because it uses less water.

Anyhoo, 1 butternut squash prepared 14 1 ounce servings, which is way cheaper than buying it in jars, and Scout absolutely loved it! She even cried when it was all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment