November 01, 2011

Ugh, stupid grains!

It's official, making my own baby food has turned me into a control freak! When I was at the grocery store the other day I took a wonder down the baby food aisle because I thought it was time for Scout to try out a new grain. I wanted to buy her some oats that you prepare by mixing in breastmilk. So down the aisle I go, a little bitter to begin with that I can't make my own vitamin enriched grains. When I reach the baby cereals I see "just add water" rice, "just add water" oats, "just add water" barley, and "just add water" wheat, but not a single "just add breastmilk" ANYTHING in the entire aisle! It infuriated me to think that someone would go to the store looking for something to be prepared with breastmilk, not see anything, and buy the "just add water" one instead, thinking that it's pretty much the same thing. Now, I'm no nutritionist, but I have been lactose intolerant most of my life and know first hand that "modified milk ingredients" translates into powdered cows milk. I also know that babies aren't supposed to have cows milk until they are at least a year old because there is a risk of allergy. Needless to say, I walked out of the store without baby cereal. This whole experience made me realize how important it is for me to control what goes into my baby's mouth (well, in terms of food anyway...). Whether parents decide to make their own baby food or not, reading lables and knowing what the ingredients actually mean is very important and nobody should settle for something less than what they were looking for just because the store doesn't have it. There will always be another store around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment